Built in1984, the Schine Student Center was opened by Syracuse University on May 19,1984. The Schine Student Center has been described as a “reflection of the diverse intellectual, cultural, and social interest of the Syracuse University community. It will provide the space for students to gather, along with faculty and staff, in an atmosphere conducive to social, leisure, and educational purposes.” Schine Student Center, often just referred to as “Schine,” cost $15 million and was made with brick and red sandstone. The Student Center was established to be the central hub for Syracuse University’s services, offices, and student activities. Often time student organizations set up tables in the center to promote their latest events. This building is located East of University Avenue between Waverly Avenue and University Place. It was named after Reneé Schine Crown who donated $2,500,000 for construction of the Student Center. Schine accommodates large, medium, and small venues for a variety of events. It has hosted world-renowned artists and speakers such as Idina Menzel, John Legend, Vice President Joe Biden, Cornell West, The Dalai Lama, Spike Lee, and many more.
Transportation is a vital part of the Syracuse Community. The transportation options available in Syracuse are many: the Centro Bus Company provides short distance travel within Central New York, and the Regional Transportation Center and Syracuse Hancock International Airport are available for long distance travel.
The Centro Bus Company transports students and commuters to and from SU campus as well as around the community.
November 18, 1887, Syracuse University: Visions of the cosmos flashed through the minds of the students, faculty, and community members of Syracuse as they sat in silence in Hendricks Chapel, listening to plans for the new Observatory. It was a time during which astronomy was still a completely unexplored horizon, a territory unknown. The possibilities seemed infinite to a University that had never pondered such oddities.
The Establishment of the College of Agriculture & Farm
During the early 1900’s, a College of Agriculture, and a University Farm were included among the group of colleges collectively known as Syracuse University. The college was located in what is now known as Slocum Hall and the farm existed on the land that is presently South Campus. Although the discontinuance of the college and farm was made official in 1934, the expansion of knowledge, and experimental methods practiced on this and other college farms, helped to lay the foundation for many of today’s agricultural practices, thus making it worthy of historic note.
Archbold Stadium was the first athletic stadium built at Syracuse University in Syracuse, New York. At the time of its construction it was one of only three concrete stadiums in the world and was deemed by many as “The Greatest Athletic Arena in America”. Opened in 1907, it served as a multi-purpose stadium for Syracuse University’s football, track, and field team. Archbold Stadium’s footprint is now the current location of The Syracuse University Carrier Dome. 1